Trouble sleeping at night? You’re not alone! More than 1/4 of the U.S. population reports some kind of sleeping problems with insomnia being the most common of sleep disorders, affecting millions of people. Studies have also shown a higher prevalence amongst older ages, females, and those with medical or psychiatric illness.
The classic sign of insomnia is the inability to fall asleep- lying awake for hours without finding restful, deep sleep. For some, insomnia is characterized by waking up in the middle of the night and then being unable to fall back to sleep.
So if you’re one of the millions looking for natural insomnia relief, keep reading because we can help!
What causes insomnia?
Insomnia can happen as a result of many causes, and for most people, its difficult to identify because insomnia is usually the symptom of other causes. It can be related to conditions like depression, anxiety, PTSD, Alzheimer’s, or Parkinson’s Disease. But has also been linked to arthritis, asthma, headaches, hyperthyroidism, gastrointestinal disorders, and menopause (1).
Insomnia could also be a result of self-induced conditions, like working long hours, increased stress, excessive worry, abuse of drugs or alcohol, or too much caffeine; all of which can prevent you from entering deep sleep. You might also experience insomnia as a result of medication side effects.
Risks of not sleeping well
A short bout of insomnia may not be much to worry about but chronic sleep loss can weaken the immune system and can cause very serious issues.
These problems may be associated with a significant lack of sleep:
- Weakened immune system
- Increased levels of cortisol (stress hormone) which can impact bone density and muscle mass
- Impacted function of the thyroid gland
- Mood disorders
- Memory problems
- Decreased cardiovascular health
- Weight gain
Additionally, many people who struggle with insomnia take OTC and prescription medications to treat it which can result in a long list of other side effects. Medications are a short-term response that doesn’t address the underlying cause. So if you’re tired of relying on pills and looking for a new solution, you should consider chiropractic!
Natural insomnia relief with Chiropractic
Subluxations press on nerves, causing a lack of communication between the spine and the brain. This can lead to stress response which puts the body out of balance and sleeping well becomes challenging. Chiropractic care works to remove these subluxations and can provide natural insomnia relief by:
- Increasing spine health– pain and tension in the spine are released, allowing the body to be more comfortable, relaxed, and able to fall asleep easily
- Enhancing the central nervous system which allows efficient function of the body
- Addressing underlying issues that might be causing sleeplessness
When you come to visit Dr. Christina at our office in Altamonte Springs, she will carefully evaluate you to develop a comprehensive treatment plan by looking at other health problems, diet, stress levels, and daily schedule.
Things you can do to prevent insomnia
- Set a sleep schedule for yourself and stick to it
- Don’t drink caffeinated beverages, alcohol, or smoke cigarettes before bed
- Avoid using your computer or phone before bed
- Keep a sleep journal to track how you’ve been sleeping
Living with insomnia can be challenging but we can help you to find natural insomnia relief.
Call our office to schedule your assessment!